Hornsea Burton Road, Hornsea, East Riding of Yorkshire HU18 1TG


01964 536594

Hornsea Burton Primary School

A special place to learn and succeed

  1. General
  2. Compliments/Complaints Procedure

Compliments and Complaints Procedure

Please let us know how we are doing.


Please let us know if you are particularly pleased with something we are doing. It is important to receive some feedback. You can do this by telling the class teacher or the Headteacher or by writing to us.

Suggestions will also be greatly received as the school is a partnership between teachers, governors, parents and the wider community. All compliments and ideas are welcome.


As with compliments if you have a problem, please come and talk to us. Most complaints can be quickly resolved by talking to the teacher or member of staff concerned. To do this you can contact the school to arrange a time to meet with the person concerned and discuss the problem. If you cannot resolve the matter directly with the person concerned, please arrange to see the Headteacher. You can do this by contacting the school. It may be helpful to put your concerns in writing and let the Headteacher see them before you meet so that she is able to look into the matter and inform you of the situation as the meeting.

In a very small number of cases, the matter may not be resolved even with the involvement of the Headteacher. When this happens, the complaint should be directed to the Governing Body. Please put your complaint in writing to the Chair of Governors and send it to him through the school. The Chair of Governors will then contact you, within ten days, to discuss your complaint. The chair will also talk to the Headteacher and will arrange a meeting or write to you.

If you do not discuss the matter with the Headteacher, it is not normally possible to proceed with the official complaints procedure. In this circumstance, you should also put your complaint in writing, stating reasons why you have not discussed it with the Headteacher, and send it to the Chair of Governors.

If the complaint cannot be resolved by the involvement of the Chair of Governors, you can ask for the complaint to be considered by the Governing Body's own Complaints Committee. In some cases the Chair of Governors may ask the Local Education Authority (LA) to investigate the complaint. You will then by informed in writing of the outcome.

The LA does not normally investigate complaints directly. If a complaint is made either verbally or in writing to the Director of Education, Leisure and Libraries or to any officer of the LA, the Governing Body of the school is made aware of the complaint and is requested to deal with it through the adopted procedure.

If you are not satisfied with the process of the investigation, (not the outcome), you can make this known to the LA. However, further action can only be taken if it can be demonstrated the agreed procedure has not been followed, although the LA will try to mediate and find a possible solution to the problem. The last recourse is the Secretary of State for Education and Employment.